- AC: 17 (Natural Armor)
- Alignment: Lawful Neutral
- CHA: 18
- CON: 16
- Challenge Rating: 11
- Condition Immunities: Charmed, Frightened
- DEX: 15
- HP: 136 (16d10+48)
- INT: 18
- Immunities: Psychic
- Languages: Common, Sphinx
- Passive Perception: 18
- Resistances: Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing From Nonmagical Attacks
- Roll 0: Claw 1d20 + 9 2d8+4
- STR: 18
- Senses: Truesight 120 Ft.
- Size: Large
- Skills: Arcana +12, History +12, Perception +8, Religion +8
- Speed: 40 ft., fly 60 ft.
- Spell Book: Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Identify, Shield, Darkness, Locate Object, Suggestion, Dispel Magic, Remove Curse, Tongues, Banishment, Greater Invisibility, Legend Lore
- Type: monstrosity
- WIS: 18
Inscrutable: The sphinx is immune to any effect that would sense its emotions or read its thoughts, as well as any divination spell that it refuses. Wisdom (Insight) checks made to ascertain the sphinx's intentions or sincerity have disadvantage.
Magic Weapons: The sphinx's weapon attacks are magical.
Spellcasting: The sphinx is a 9th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 16, +8 to hit with spell attacks). It requires no material components to cast its spells. The sphinx has the following wizard spells prepared:
• Cantrips (at will): mage hand, minor illusion, prestidigitation
• 1st level (4 slots): detect magic, identify, shield
• 2nd level (3 slots): darkness, locate object, suggestion
• 3rd level (3 slots): dispel magic, remove curse, tongues
• 4th level (3 slots): banishment, greater invisibility
• 5th level (1 slot): legend lore
Multiattack: The sphinx makes two claw attacks.
Claw: Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) slashing damage.
Can take 3 Legendary Actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action can be used at a time, and only at the end of another creature's turn. Spent legendary actions are regained at the start of each turn.
Claw Attack: The sphinx makes one claw attack.
Teleport (Costs 2 Actions): The sphinx magically teleports, along with any equipment it is wearing or carrying, up to 120 feet to an unoccupied space it can see.
Cast a Spell (Costs 3 Actions): The sphinx casts a spell from its list of prepared spells, using a spell slot as normal.
The SendingStone review
The Gynosphinx is a well-rounded and formidable opponent in combat with a high AC, strong CHA and CON, and immunity to charm and fear. Its ability to cast spells and create riddles to hinder its enemies adds to its strategic capabilities. However, the Gynosphinx's alignment as lawful neutral and its tendency to offer riddles and tests for treasure rather than simply attacking can add depth to encounters and make them more interesting for players. As a challenging and intelligent foe, the Gynosphinx is a great addition to any game.
Gynosphinx is D&D (Dungeons & Dragons) 5th edition content, but other TTRPGs may have their own version such as a Gynosphinx Pathfinder edition. Want to use Gynosphinx in a VTT (virtual tabletop)? Try out SendingStone for free today!