- Casting Time: 1 action
- Classes: Bard, Cleric, Wizard
- Components: V S
- Concentration: Yes
- Duration: Up to 1 minute
- Higher Spell Slot Desc: If you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the Duration is Concentration, up to 10 minutes. If you use a spell slot of 5th level or higher, the Duration is 8 hours. If you use a spell slot of 7th level or higher, the Duration is 24 hours. If you use a 9th level spell slot, the spell lasts until it is dispelled. Using a spell slot of 5th level or higher grants a Duration that doesn't require Concentration.
- Level: 3
- Name: Bestow Curse
- Range: Touch
- School: Necromancy
- Target: A creature
You touch a creature, and that creature must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or become cursed for the duration of the spell. When you cast this spell, choose the nature of the curse from the following options.
• Choose one ability score. While cursed, the target has disadvantage on ability checks and saving throws made with that ability score.
• While cursed, the target has disadvantage on attack rolls against you.
• While cursed, the target must make a Wisdom saving throw at the start of each of its turns. If it fails, it wastes its action that turn doing nothing.
• While the target is cursed, your attacks and spells deal an extra 1d8 necrotic damage to the target.
A remove curse spell ends this effect. At the DM's option, you may choose an alternative curse effect, but it should be no more powerful than those described above. The DM has final say on such a curse's effect.
At Higher Levels: If you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the duration is concentration, up to 10 minutes. If you use a spell slot of 5th level or higher, the duration is 8 hours. If you use a spell slot of 7th level or higher, the duration is 24 hours. If you use a 9th level spell slot, the spell lasts until it is dispelled. Using a spell slot of 5th level or higher grants a duration that doesn't require concentration.
The SendingStone review
Bestow Curse is a powerful spell that can hinder an opponent's abilities. However, it requires concentration and has limited effects on higher level targets. Some players may argue that the spell is best used on weaker enemies or to weaken an opponent before a battle, rather than trying to use it on a powerful foe.
On the other hand, some players may find Bestow Curse to be a valuable asset in their spellcasting arsenal. It can reduce an opponent's effectiveness in combat, make them more vulnerable to certain types of attacks, and even cause them to lose their senses or become immobilized. However, players must be careful not to rely too heavily on the spell, as it requires concentration and can be dispelled by other means.
Overall, the usefulness of Bestow Curse depends on the individual player's playstyle and strategy. Some may find it to be an invaluable tool for disabling enemies, while others may prefer spells with more versatile effects. Regardless, it is a valuable option for players who want to control the battlefield and gain an advantage in combat.
Bestow Curse is D&D (Dungeons & Dragons) 5th edition content, but other TTRPGs may have their own version such as a Bestow Curse Pathfinder edition. Want to use Bestow Curse in a VTT (virtual tabletop)? Try out SendingStone for free today!